Oh how gorgeous is this cheesecake! I have always love cheesecake but I LOVE this cheesecake! It is not only looked beautiful but it also tasted beautiful!
The story began when I had free time last week and I was feeling adventurous to try something new in baking. So I did some googling and I found Kevin Chai's Dainty cheesecake...first thing that popped into my mind was..Wow I gotta try this!
.....and ta da! look at this beautiful cheesecake! I can't stop saying beautiful can I? LOL
I am just so happy with the result!
My kids like Tip Top rainbow surprise ice cream so I base the flavourings on that, which has: banana, strawberries and bubble gum flavours.
However that ice cream only have 3 flavours and I wanted to make 5 layers of colours in my cheese cake, so I added orange and lime.
Here is what you need:
1 slice bought sponge cake and cut to about 2cm height.
you can also make your own and this is the recipe that I used on my cheesecake.
You do need to bake it in a larger cake tin and trim it down to fit the cheesecake pan, I used 8" cake tin and for the cheese cake I used 7" spring-form cake tin.
Vanilla Sponge Cake (Asian style)
125g caster sugar
22g vegetable oil
1/4tsp vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Sift the flour and set aside.
3. Whisk the eggs, salt, vanilla essence and sugar until very thick and fluffy.
4. Take the sifted flour and fold flour into the egg mixture.
5. In another bowl, mix milk and oil together. Pour into the flour batter, mix well using a spatula.
6. Pour batter in 8 inch round tin and bake in preheated oven for 25-30mins. (Note, there is no need to grease the cake pan or line with baking paper)
7. Remove cake tin from oven and invert the tin (with the cake still intact) on a wire rack and let cool. Once cooled, remove cake from tin.
Rainbow Cheesecake (my version):
120ml fresh milk
2 egg yolks
350gr cream cheese
80gr caster sugar
1 tbsp gelatine powder
400gr fresh cream (whipped )
Flavors and colourings
1/8 tsp strawberry essence and red food colouring
1/8 tsp lime essence and green food colouring
1/8 tsp orange essence and orange food colouring
1/8 tsp banana essence and yellow food colouring
1/4 tsp bubble gum flavour, I used LorAnn Oils - Concentrated Flavours (I used less because these are concentrated flavours) and blue food coluring.
You can also change these flavours and colours to your liking.
- Cut sponge cake to fit 7" cake tin and place it into a 7" spring-form tin. Keep aside
- To make cheese cake layer, bring fresh milk, egg yolks, cream cheese, sugar and gelatine powder to heat in double boiler. Stirring over simmering water until mixture is melted.
- Remove and leave to cool
- Fold in whipped cream until blended
- Divide cheese mixture into 5 portions and combine with difference flavour.
- Choose whichever cheesecake mixture you want to go in first for the bottom layer. Spread it in the tin. place it freezer for about 10min. Once you see the layer is shiny and set, pour the next cheese cake mixture in. Repeat this process until finish.
Cover and refrigerate until set for about 3 hours or preferably overnight.
Once set, take lots of pictures because it is too darn beautiful, cut and... here comes the best part..eating it!